I never thought that I'd have a blog. But I never thought that I'd move across the country either! While there is always email, Facebook, and the telephone, we thought that this would be a great way to foster an ongoing connection with our beloved family and friends.

So, this isn't first and foremost about publishing our thoughts or processing our feelings. This is about sharing - with you - some of the bits and pieces that now make up our life. Read on if you want to stay updated. Read on if you want to stay informed. Most of all, read on if you are willing to pray with us that - in our home, neighborhood, and general day-to-day life - God would be glorified.

Monday, 12 September 2011

The Harvest

It's that time of year! Here are some highlights of the food we've been harvesting lately. Our garden did great. Zucchini and potatoes are just a few of the things we've been enjoying from it. We've also gotten radishes, carrots, beets, lettuce, chard, and . . .... onions! Here are some curing in the sun on our back porch.Even though you probably can't tell, this photo represents our bean harvest. We've had pounds and pounds of them. Besides putting them in soups, steaming them, and munching on them raw, for the first time, we attempted to freeze them for use down the road.

Sometimes I feel like I live in the city of blackberries. They are everywhere. Everywhere. On many occasions I've gone out for walks and come back with pounds of juicy goodness. Aren't they beautiful? As you can see, we attempted to make jam from our blackberries. The result was a huge disappointment. Instead of the hoped-for jam, we now have a cupboard full of blackberry sauce. It is not spreadable because it's way too liquidy. But it's not all bad. It goes really well with yogurt.
These look like potatoes, but they are really apples. We've got this great little apple tree in our backyard. We combined what we picked from there with some apples we got from a tree belonging to someone from church... and now we have applesauce. (Much easier to make than jam.) Dave just did the applesauce today, actually. The jars are still warm.

And... one last picture. This has nothing to do with harvesting, but I felt like it was time to post one of these. This is me. On our front porch. 17 weeks along. I still don't feel all that pregnant. But it seems that I'm beginning to look pregnant. To be honest, I'm not sure if my new gut has more to do with the baby or with all the good food I'm eating these days. :)

2 comments:

  1. oh that's all baby! you look great! love you lots and lots and lots

    ReplyDelete
  2. you look great Brittney - so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete