I never thought that I'd have a blog. But I never thought that I'd move across the country either! While there is always email, Facebook, and the telephone, we thought that this would be a great way to foster an ongoing connection with our beloved family and friends.

So, this isn't first and foremost about publishing our thoughts or processing our feelings. This is about sharing - with you - some of the bits and pieces that now make up our life. Read on if you want to stay updated. Read on if you want to stay informed. Most of all, read on if you are willing to pray with us that - in our home, neighborhood, and general day-to-day life - God would be glorified.

Saturday, 10 September 2011

Happy Frappy

As you could probably guess, I'm indulging in a mocha frappuccino right now... and I'm very happy about it. There is this huge mall/complex/shopping centre near our new place. I thought that I was going to hate it, but that hasn't turned out to be the case. It has a frozen yogurt shop that is really fun, an Asian food restaurant that is absolutely delicious, and - of course - a Starbucks. And all within walking distance! It's Saturday, a beautiful 30-something degrees outside, and I can't think of a place I'd rather be.

It's been two weeks since Dave and I returned from our summer vacation. Two weeks is not very long, but it feels like I've been back for much, much longer than that. I'm sure this is because we've been very busy. We started work as soon as we got here: our plane from Toronto landed in Victoria at 2am on a Wednesday night, and I was in the office 7 hours later. Not only that, but the work has been a bit intense. I'm not sure if this is the case in all church communities, but there has been a certain "September-is-coming" pressure in the air around here. Everyone seems to want a lot of stuff to start happening... and quickly!

Instead of describing all that, I want to post about our time in Ontario. It was the defining experience of our summer.

This picture says it all:
Family. Friends. And Lake Huron. We spent a lot of time in conversation, and we spent a lot of time by the water. The conversation part was sort of what we went to Ontario for. I was longing for some face-to-face time, and I knew that getting that would make the plane ticket worthwhile. The water part was just a bonus. Although we have oodles of water here, we mostly see it from a distance, walk passed it on a side walk, or glimpse it through the trees on a hike. On vacation, we actually sat on beaches and swam. (Well, Dave did a lot of the swimming. I did a lot of wading in up to my knees and saying, "Okay, that's it for me. I feel refreshed.")

As restful as it was, we needed to come back. If being away taught me anything, it taught me that my life is here now. Not that it's better here, or always great, it's that it's here where we have our work. It's here where we've got our own home. It's here where we are trying to work out our calling. Right now, this is the place for all that... and nowhere else.

Thankfully there's a Starbucks in the neighbourhood. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment