I had two interactions this week that confronted me with the reality that I don't write here nearly as often as I should. One was a casual comment made in the midst of a phone conversation with a beloved friend: "I want to share in this experience with you!" The other was a simple, straight-forward email: "Willing to share? I would love to see another pregnancy pic." I can't make any fake promises about how often I intend to blog from now on, or insist that I'll be better at this down the road. But I can say that those comments have made me think long and hard about what it means that me, my life, and my unborn baby are far away from many people that I deeply care about, and how important it is for me to prioritize taking the time and finding the energy to bridge that distance. "Doing life together" or "living in community" is so much harder when you have a continent between you, but it certainly can be done - and I think I need to make more of an effort.
With that being said... on with my update. This baby has been on my mind a lot lately. Part of that is because it forces itself on my mind. Little feet and little knees and little hands and a little bum tend to stick out of my sides at multiple times each day, and that is hard to ignore. But the other part of it is because S/HE is COMING SOON! My mom gave me this little countdown calendar when I first became pregnant. I remember when the note on the corner of the page said something like, "200 days until your due date." The morning it said, "17 days". On Friday, I'll have reached the 38 week mark. Holy cow.
Because this baby is coming soon, I'm having a hard time relaxing. Whenever I'm at home, I'm doing something. I've wiped every bit of dust off our baseboards. I've reorganized our dresser drawers and bedroom closet. I've sat in the baby's room a gazillion times and thought about how to make better use of the space.
That's all part of getting ready, I suppose. And on the whole, I DO feel ready. I have brief little moments where I look at David, catch my breath and think, "Do we really want to invite a third person into our home? Into our life?" I have moments where I think, "Oh no! We haven't installed the car seat yet!" But mostly, I'm eager to meet my child, eager to grow into motherhood, and excited to have my body back to myself.
Speaking of body, here I am with my baby bump. "Bump" doesn't seem to quite capture it, though, does it? It's more like "here I am with my basketball." 
33-ish weeks
The photos of you are so great... perfect basketball. (Did you sense me constantly staring at your belly on Sunday? I was trying not to be obvious! :-)
ReplyDeleteThe photo of David trying to figure out the car seat is awesome... it warms my heart!!
We also can't wait to meet the Salverda soon.
Thank you Brittney. My heart skips a beat when I read your beautiful articulations of pregnancy, preparations, and the moments of ambivilance. It is surreal to see your pictures of yoru belly when the last time I saw you it was only a hope. Funny how when I see you next your figure will likely look more similar to when I saw you last to how it looks now. I'm thankful to see glimpses of the in between.
ReplyDeleteMuch love to you and Dave.
Marique
You're on the home stretch now! I hope that the birth and first few months go well for you guys. I'm sure you've heard that they can be tough, but asking for help if you need it and taking it one day at a time will get you through. As an aside: after 3 years of either being pregnant or breastfeeding--I think I'm ready to have my body back too!
ReplyDeleteWe'll be sending prayers up for you, Dave, and the baby.
Christina
Hey we have the same car seat! It's a good one. :) Hope everything goes well the next couple of weeks!
ReplyDeleteYou're looking radiant to the bitter end, Brittney. Don't get too excited about having your body back. I'm sure I haven't lost all of my baby fat and it's been 25 years. You get a new....motherly....look about you and that's equally beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that it's hard to maintain a relationship from so far away, but it can be done. One of my students regularly has her grandparent skype her before bed with a bedtime story. I hope I can do that in due time as well. Relationships whether near or far away take some work, but when you love someone, you just continue where you left off.
It was lovely to read your blog.
Lori and Tony
It was wonderful reading up on your blog... I've found myself thinking a lot about you and wondering how the pregnancy has been going as I hear about other friends of mine giving birth. I look forward to whatever you choose to offer on your blog, whenever you get around to offering it!!
ReplyDeletei love it. can't wait to meet your basketball.
ReplyDeleteHey Brittany!
ReplyDeleteWow, what a continuation of the changes and newness that this journey of life seems to have you on!
I stumbled across your blog and was blessed by the glimpse into the life you and Dave are living way out over there!
I miss having you around these parts, but know you are where God has you for a reason!
Hang in there! And all the best with these coming days!
Big (but awkward?) hug :)
loved seeing the pictures and hearing about your pregnancy Brittney. I especially enjoyed the picture of Dave's serious scrutiny of the car seat instructions!! I would enjoy hearing about the initial installation of same in your car!! The day I mastered that was very significant!!
ReplyDelete