I never thought that I'd have a blog. But I never thought that I'd move across the country either! While there is always email, Facebook, and the telephone, we thought that this would be a great way to foster an ongoing connection with our beloved family and friends.

So, this isn't first and foremost about publishing our thoughts or processing our feelings. This is about sharing - with you - some of the bits and pieces that now make up our life. Read on if you want to stay updated. Read on if you want to stay informed. Most of all, read on if you are willing to pray with us that - in our home, neighborhood, and general day-to-day life - God would be glorified.

Sunday, 8 January 2012

Christmas Everyday

This Christmas felt very ordinary. In a lot of ways, it was just another day... just another weekend. We worked hard in the office to prepare for worship. We lead prayed and preached and talked with a lot of people. When it was all over, it was like nothing that different had even happened.

I'm so used to Christmases being an extra-ordinary experience. Two weeks off from school. Time (sometimes too much) with family. Staying up late. Sleeping late. Having Mom cook for me. Lots of opportunities to relax and be reflective.

Very little of that happened this time around... and I actually think that the change was good. A few days after Christmas I was speaking with someone in the hospital. I made a comment about how tough it must have been to have been in hospitalized over Christmas. "Not really", this person responded. "It's Christmas everyday, you know." SUCH a clique... but so truthful. That person, and my experience of Christmas being a lot like every other day of my year, has been a solid reminder that my whole life is about God coming to be with us in Jesus.

Here are a few photos from the last few weeks.

Dave and I were treated to a lovely evening at Butchart Gardens. Who ever thought that the gardens would be worth seeing in the middle of winter? It was gorgeous. Millions and millions of lights were all over everything. I went to see White Christmas with these two lovely ladies. Here we are drinking a cup of tea before the performance. Dave and I hiked up Christmas Hill on Christmas Eve. (Notice the lack of winter gear. I was in only a sweatshirt that day. I went for a walk in only a sweatshirt today. And at least three people who passed me on the path were in shorts! Ridiculous.) We ate a ton of these teensy-weensy things. I could eat a ton more. And I decorated too. These are the West African angels I hung from my curtain rods. They won't be coming down for a while.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog and think it is time for another post. :)

    ReplyDelete