I listen to quite a bit of music. Always have. And like most people I know, each year I find that a few albums or songs rise to the top. This year I’ve decided to write about the music that is making me move.
Before getting into specific songs or albums, I should mention that I have been loving CBC Radio 2. Specifically, I love a program called Tempo. (Tempo, is a classical music program that happens between 9:00am and 12:00am.) It seems that every time I get into my car during these hours I am providentially blessed with something beautiful. A few times I’ve almost pulled over because I found that I wasn’t paying attention to the road. Unfortunately I cannot remember the names of these pieces.
Oscar Peterson - Manha de Carnaval / If
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhNM7jUNxiE
Oscar Peterson, a Canadian born Jazz musician, was a new discovery for me this year. I first heard this song on CBC Radio and have listened to it on YouTube a lot. I love how gently he plays. I also love how you can hear him grunting in the background near the end of song. Sounds best when accompanied with red wine after a long day at work.
Radiohead – Jigsaw falling into Place
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-RllNyZt90
I listen to music while running. It helps me forget that I’m running. Radiohead’s In Rainbows has been a constant running companion throughout 2011. You have to picture me running through the woods and fields that surround Swan Lake (http://www.swanlake.bc.ca/) as you listen to this song.
Arcade Fire – Sprawl 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH_7_XRfTMs
I find that I’m listening to more danceable music lately. It’s a welcome development. I often find myself grooving to this Arcade Fire song while cooking dinner. Anyone who knows me knows that I detest urban sprawl. But now, thanks to the Arcade Fire, I dance when I think of urban sprawl. It’s more productive than cursing at cars while riding my bike.
The Roots – Hardware (Live)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rn7sJL7FJM
I can only handle The Roots in moderation. But in moderation, they are awesome. It’s not for nothing that they are considered the best hip-hop band around. (Just watch them pull this song off live.) Their new album, Undun, is pretty good as well. I personally enjoy the song ‘the other side’.)
Black Dub – I Believe in You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_0zrd2u3uk&ob=av2e
For the past two years I have been getting into the music of Daniel Lanois. (He's majorly influencing the way I play guitar). He’s a Canadian music producer; most famous for the work he’s done with U2, Bob Dylan, and Peter Gabriel. He’s also a gifted musician. His last solo album, Here is what is, is excellent. And his 'Black Dub' side project sounds good as well. ‘I Believe in You’ is a simple song. I enjoy watching these professional musicians play together. (Lanois is playing the piano—not his primary instrument).
Talking Heads – Life During Wartime
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsksSWOxq2Y&feature=related
The Talking Heads are awesome. I love every song on Stop Making Sense. Dancing is not optional.
Mumford and Sons – Sigh No More
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujv3c0TqLRk
Filled with catchy and well-written songs, this album is a keeper. I not sure where this group is religiously speaking, but it seems to me that they’ve been drinking heavily from the Saint Paul and Saint Augustine inspired Christian Tradition. The song is essentially a commentary on Augustine’s famous phrase: “You have made us for yourself, Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you.” (Can I get an Amen!)
The Civil Wars – Poison and Wine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfzRlcnq_c0
This is by far the prettiest song I’ve heard all year. Their voices blend so well together. This song builds perfectly and it ends perfectly. It’s a sonic sculpture. In addition to being perfectly crafted, this song also captures the predicament of every couple that has ever traveled down the rocky but beautiful road of lifelong commitment. The rest of this album is good as well
The National - Blood Buzz Ohio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K779pqvYQds&feature=related
LCD Soundsytem – All My Friends
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlogJqMFaYA
Where was I in 2007 and how didn’t I hear about LCD Soundsystem? All my Friends is an amazing song. This live recording is especially fantastic. The last 2 minutes are about as good as it gets. I’ve listened to this song daily for about two months. It’s so simple. The bass player, the drummer, and the piano player essentially play the same thing over and over and over again. The synth and the Guitar add some color. It’s the slow cresendo that gets me. It’s also danceable—which, this year anyway, certainly helps!
Cool to hear the stuff that you've been listening to and your thoughts surrounding it. In the last bunch of years, I've been finding that silence is my favorite music. The stillness lets me hear myself think and untangle my thoughts.
ReplyDeletedave
ReplyDeletegreat! I will take a listen. thanks for sharing. here is one for you--let me know what you think.
Josh Garrels (any song really, but youtube"SISU" and "Babylon and Zion")