I never thought that I'd have a blog. But I never thought that I'd move across the country either! While there is always email, Facebook, and the telephone, we thought that this would be a great way to foster an ongoing connection with our beloved family and friends.

So, this isn't first and foremost about publishing our thoughts or processing our feelings. This is about sharing - with you - some of the bits and pieces that now make up our life. Read on if you want to stay updated. Read on if you want to stay informed. Most of all, read on if you are willing to pray with us that - in our home, neighborhood, and general day-to-day life - God would be glorified.

Saturday, 22 October 2011

Grandma Cooper

My grandmother died two weeks ago. (I can't believe it's been two weeks already.) Everything about it was unexpected. Sure, she was 80. Sure, the aging process was taking it's toll. But she was mostly healthy, mostly independent, and very much enjoying her life. When Mom first called to say that Grandma and Grandpa has been in a car accident, I assumed weeks of rehab and a quicker journey to a nursing home than they hoped for. I didn't think that Grandma would die.

But she did. A few days after the accident. In the ICU.

So I went home. And had the most incredible time. All of my aunts and uncles were there. Cousins I hadn't seen in years were there. My beloved brothers were there. The day after Grandma died, I arrived at the London airport at 6am and both parents had come to get me. They took me out for breakfast and we talked about everything. That was the beginning of a whole week of being with people I love and having good-quality conversation.

We didn't just talk. We did other stuff too. Like play a lot of cards, drink a lot of beer (not me), and eat a lot of ice cream (definitely me). Like laugh. Like goof off. (Brittney: 18 weeks, Uncle Todd: 20 weeks, Uncle Ross: 24 weeks)
Like plan a funeral. Like attend a funeral. Like say good-bye. I miss Grandma more now that I'm back in Victoria. That little card that you get at funeral homes, with your loved one's picture and biography, is hanging on my fridge... and it kills me to see her smiling face there... with "October 6, 1931 - October 9, 2011" printed beneath it. I wouldn't describe our relationship as super-close, but I certainly loved her, and she certainly loved me. I wish she was still around to meet me at the Coffee Lodge when I'm home, or to have me in for a cup of tea.

Here is one of my favourite pictures of Gram. It's her and her sisters. Grandma is the one on the left. Wasn't she a beauty?

1 comment:

  1. Brittney, the photo of your grandpa, in his wheelchair, holding your grandma's hand is an amazingly sweet photo....you can really just feel the love they had for each other. It had me in tears.

    And I just love the man-belly photo. Also had me in tears... of laughter.

    ReplyDelete