It's been just over a month since the triathlon. It's the 17th of July today, and the race was on the 16th of June.
Right afterwards, I was on a big time "high". It was all I talked about for a couple of days, and it was all I thought about for a few solid weeks. The experience was beautiful, and I won't ever forget it. The day before the race I was horribly nervous. I was grumpy and irritable and fidgety. But that was all out of my system when I woke up the next morning, and when I got to the lake and began to prepare, I was not nearly as scared as I expected to be. Instead I was calm, steady, ready, open. The time had come.
From the Start to the Finish, the whole thing felt like a celebration. I will never forget how the sun felt warm on my cheek every time I turned my head for a breath: it felt like God was close by and smiling. I will never forget the fun-loving banter between the cyclists as we inched our way up the hills and rocketed our way down: it felt like community. I will never forget the feeling of hearing the announcer's voice in the distance as I ran through the last bit of forest: it felt like pride and joy and gratitude.
Like I said, it was a beautiful thing.
BUT the high is gone now, and I'd say I'm experiencing something like the
triathlon "blues". What I miss is not so much the race itself, but all the stuff that came before. I miss the regular
training schedule. I miss the friends I swam/rode/ran with each week. I miss aiming toward a goal. I miss the focus. I miss the discipline. The race was great, but it was nothing compared to the lifestyle that it inspired me to live for a while.
So, I'm wondering: now what? What have a learned? What will this experience mean for me?
Honestly, I don't know. And I'm not just saying that to get out of writing a longer post, because long posts don't scare me. I truly don't know. Will I become someone who's always signing up for races, always training for the next big event? No. Will I become someone who's more consistent about maintaining her health and strength and fitness? Maybe. Have I learned something about working hard, aiming high, and staying focused? Hopefully.
In my last post, I promised pictures. Well, I won't be putting any up... but don't worry! I have something better to share! Dave put together a video, and it turned out great. Here's the link: http://vimeo.com/68776918.
I never thought that I'd have a blog. But I never thought that I'd move across the country either! While there is always email, Facebook, and the telephone, we thought that this would be a great way to foster an ongoing connection with our beloved family and friends.
So, this isn't first and foremost about publishing our thoughts or processing our feelings. This is about sharing - with you - some of the bits and pieces that now make up our life. Read on if you want to stay updated. Read on if you want to stay informed. Most of all, read on if you are willing to pray with us that - in our home, neighborhood, and general day-to-day life - God would be glorified.
So, this isn't first and foremost about publishing our thoughts or processing our feelings. This is about sharing - with you - some of the bits and pieces that now make up our life. Read on if you want to stay updated. Read on if you want to stay informed. Most of all, read on if you are willing to pray with us that - in our home, neighborhood, and general day-to-day life - God would be glorified.
Britt
ReplyDeleteI watched the video and found myself tearing up as I watched you--so proud of you in many deep ways. love you and miss you lady!
nfc