I never thought that I'd have a blog. But I never thought that I'd move across the country either! While there is always email, Facebook, and the telephone, we thought that this would be a great way to foster an ongoing connection with our beloved family and friends.

So, this isn't first and foremost about publishing our thoughts or processing our feelings. This is about sharing - with you - some of the bits and pieces that now make up our life. Read on if you want to stay updated. Read on if you want to stay informed. Most of all, read on if you are willing to pray with us that - in our home, neighborhood, and general day-to-day life - God would be glorified.

Sunday, 22 April 2012

Grace

Joseph's baptism was a little lesson in grace for me.  Let me explain.

I was not feeling ready for it because I had not given it much thought.  When Dave and I met with Chelsey for a pre-baptism chat (over a yummy sushi lunch), I told her that I felt like Joseph's baptism was happening too soon.  I haven't had time to prepare myself, I told her.  I haven't had time to reflect on it.  I haven't had time to carefully plan the details, or craft something special, or make it meaningful.  

Chelsey suggested that feeling that way was maybe just right for the occasion.  After all, baptism doesn't require a parent to feel especially prepared, or ready, or able, because baptism isn't first and foremost about something that we have to do.  Baptism is about God doing something, God saying something, God putting his claim on a life.   It's about a truth that's bigger and surer than our sense of preparedness. 

On April 15, as David and I stood in front of my church family holding Joseph, I felt a crazy mix of things.  What will I do if he starts crying right now?  Do I have baby-barf on my shirt?  Am I ready to parent this little guy?  Am I capable of raising someone to know and love God?  But - and here's the grace part - God spoke words that morning that rang louder and truer than the worries of my soul:  I love Joseph.  I died and rose for Joseph.  Joseph is mine.

Thank you to our dear friend Daryl for snapping some shots of the occasion.  It's one I want to always remember.

... in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Prayerful parents

After being baptized, Joseph got introduced to his church family.

Oh, what a sweetheart.

Peek-a-boo!

And my favourite photo ever:  a elderly gentleman giving a loving touch.





1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the photos and the words of reflection. It is such a joy to have my morning breakfast and read you blog. Helps me to stay connected. I so look forward to the time when I can hold that little fellow. Dad

    ReplyDelete