I never thought that I'd have a blog. But I never thought that I'd move across the country either! While there is always email, Facebook, and the telephone, we thought that this would be a great way to foster an ongoing connection with our beloved family and friends.

So, this isn't first and foremost about publishing our thoughts or processing our feelings. This is about sharing - with you - some of the bits and pieces that now make up our life. Read on if you want to stay updated. Read on if you want to stay informed. Most of all, read on if you are willing to pray with us that - in our home, neighborhood, and general day-to-day life - God would be glorified.

Friday, 22 April 2011

A little break from sermon-writing

I'm sitting in my office right now, and I should be finishing up a sermon! Ha! I'm taking a break to write a blog post.

I've been in my office a lot this week, which is probably why I'm struggling to focus right now. While David does most of the preaching here at church, I do some of it. And my next opportunity to get behind the pulpit is Sunday. So far, whenever it comes time for me to preach, the sermon-writing process seems to take over my life. I've been thinking, eating, sleeping, breathing this sermon all week. Some might think that's okay...but I don't. There are other things to think about, after all. Do you think I've paid attention to the news this week? Do you think I've spent time relaxing? Do you think I've sent emails to friends or called home at all lately?

While I'm sure it's fairly normal for a brand-new minister to spend most of her energy on this, I'd like to be more balanced person, pleased. And I'd like to be more balanced now.

It's a gorgeous day in Victoria, and I'm experiencing it through the big window in my office. I'm looking at a tree with new little leaves, a grassy lawn with lots of dainty, daisy-like weeds, and a big, busy highway. On the other side of the tree there is a playground. The church shares a parking lot with a school. At the beginning and end of the school day, this means mass chaos, and Dave and I have learned not to schedule visits with people at times that would require us to navigate the parking lot at 8:30am or 3:15pm. At other times, having a school so close is a happy thing for me. During recess, kids who are in kindergarten and grade one play in the playground that I can see and tumble around right outside my window. They are generally giggling, and running, and somer-saulting and that brings me a lot of joy.

Today is a holiday though, so the parking lot is clear... and the playground is empty. You'd think that this frustration-free, distraction-free environment would be perfect for finishing a sermon. But, no. *Sigh* Maybe a fresh cup of tea will help.

2 comments:

  1. Brittney! Thanks for this glimpse into your work life. I often find myself in the same situation, looking out the window, blank screen in front of me, hoping some divine inspiration comes soon! I trust it did for you. I am so glad to hear you and Dave are enjoying life in Victoria, and I hope our paths cross again sometime in the near future. Blessings friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post!
    I miss you! Feels like forever since we've chatted. I have been wrapped up in wedding - and hockey :) - stuff for the past week, and am heading to the mainland on Friday morning, so I don't think I'll have time to fit in any visiting, but know that you are missed. I'm sending you a hug and look forward to seeing you mid-May!

    ReplyDelete