I never thought that I'd have a blog. But I never thought that I'd move across the country either! While there is always email, Facebook, and the telephone, we thought that this would be a great way to foster an ongoing connection with our beloved family and friends.

So, this isn't first and foremost about publishing our thoughts or processing our feelings. This is about sharing - with you - some of the bits and pieces that now make up our life. Read on if you want to stay updated. Read on if you want to stay informed. Most of all, read on if you are willing to pray with us that - in our home, neighborhood, and general day-to-day life - God would be glorified.

Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Agnes St. Community Garden



Why are we so happy, you ask?

Because we get to garden!

Gardening did not seem like a possibility for us this year. We moved into an apartment that doesn't allow us any lawn space. And when we contacted the coordinator of the Agnes St. Community Garden (the garden that's close to our church), she told us that she'd gladly put us on the waiting list but that there was no way we'd have a chance at a plot this season, since we were 37th in line. (37th! Community garden plots are like gold in Victoria.)

Well, she ended up being wrong. About a month ago we found out we became 16th on the waiting list. Then, a few days ago we got a phone call. A plot had became available. The 14 people before us didn't pick up the phone. And the 15th person in line is a friend of ours who not only decided she didn't want the plot this summer but gave the coordinator our home phone number (instead of our work number) to ensure that she'd get a hold of us. Dave and I feel so surprised... and so excited. It's like this little, fun, answer-to-prayer, blessing-from-above that we totally weren't expecting.

We spent some time with our new little patch of earth for the first time yesterday. This is going to be a lot of work.
Thankfully the previous gardeners covered some of the plot with black tarps, in order to control the growth of weeds. This is Dave taking a look under one of them. Lots of bugs. Lots of hard, dry, ground. But no weeds.
There were other sections of the plot that were uncovered... and had been drinking in all of that Spring rain and Victoria-style sunshine for weeks now. I'm trying to capture the height of the dandelions in this photo, but I don't think I was quite successful. Some were up to my knees. Some required the use of a full-sized shovel.
After a few hours of work yesterday, we're not near done... or even close to being ready to plant anything. Time is not on our side. But we don't have a meeting tonight. And the Canucks don't play again until tomorrow. So, we're heading back to Agnes St. after supper to see what we can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment